Jul 27, 2009

Summertime means...

When you live in a climate like that of New England, you spend many cold months daydreaming about the warm glow of summer. The promise of long sunny days keeps you sane, warm and alive. Some days, those summer days to come can feel like the only things worth living in New England.

Of course there are many other things I love, including bits of the icy frigid winter months, but summer is a special treat. A rare and fleeting season of romance, cold drinks and long, lazy evenings. The soundtrack to each day consists of the radio playing on the beach or the Red Sox game on the radio or the sounds of crickets chirping in the evenings.

This summer hasn't delivered our normal dose of happiness and carefree romps. We've had an extended early spring feeling - cool days, colder nights, rain and gray and gloom. It leaves me feeling a sense of waiting, or like a sense of ending in that the cold months ahead of winter will be here sooner than I can imagine!

So I'd like to remind myself that summer is still special and all of the reasons that is so.

Corn on the cob
Raspberries
Flip flops
Red Sox
Camping
Fireflies
Ice cream
Canoeing
Grilling hamburgers
Summer ales
Iced tea
Outdoor concerts
Sleeping with a fan on
Tank tops
Ponytails
Freckles
The smell of sunscreen
Fireworks

What's your favorite season and what do you look forward to?

2 comments:

  1. I love...

    Thunderstorms in summer (esp the smell of the storm, just before it hits).

    The clean, crisp smell of the air in winter.

    The color of leaves as they change in the Fall.

    The smell of green grass with dew on it in the Spring.

    (I don't have a favorite season - in the heat of summer, I crave the winter time, and vice versa)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love spring and summer (though I have to say, each season has its beauty). I love the first sight of tulip fields. The first BBQ of the year. The first time sleeping with the windows wide open. Freckles on my face from the sun. Walking on the beach. I could go on and on :-)

    ReplyDelete