Apr 15, 2010

How do you tackle cravings?


It's one of those days where everything seems like a good replacement for sleep and a means for comfort.

I simply saw the words peanut butter and I was craving a spoonful. I saw someone drinking an iced coffee and actually felt a surge of longing for a sweet one. I'm not stranded in the desert with no food or water. Why the longing!!??? That's just too intense of a reaction!
Oh, silly hormones. You are tricky buggers.
(Must remember these cravings will pass. Must remember these cravings will pass.)

I'm going to keep telling myself that these are the kinds of days that make me stronger and that will make my weight loss efforts more successful if I just stay focused. Glass half full mumbo jumbo, maybe, but it might work. But man, I want a big bowl of popcorn and a nap! I'm going to drink a seltzer instead. It will at least fill me up a bit and distract me.

What do YOU do to tackle your cravings?

6 comments:

  1. Lately I've been downing some water when I start to crave something. It fills my belly and eases the strong desire. I also stop and try to figure out what is causing me to crave it. So far this is working for me. Good luck and congrats on the wehttp://fittofatandbackcarrie.wordpress.com/ight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Water is a great idea! I keep some cans of seltzer at my desk which usually help me to fill up in the afternoons and stave off the random cravings. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like when you say "This will pass"

    It's true and it is sad that too often we sabotage a good day because we cannot wait for those awful feelings to go.

    All the best

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been following your blog for a while and have been struggling with you. To fight off cravings in the afternoon i have frozen blueberries and some crystal light lemonaid.. I am doing WW and it works quite well points wize... but you will have purple fingers..lol
    try it and see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best way to stop craving something sweet is to down a couple of sips of milk. Hilo, skim or full-cream. Whichever you prefer, it doesn't matter. For some reason the milk satisfies the sugar buttons that your brain is pressing.
    This is a great way to avoid those little bumps you meet during the day, like when you feel the sudden urge for a chocolate biscuit or two, but tends to fail in the face of hot fudge sundaes (my personal demon).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dink a lot of water with crystal lite.

    ReplyDelete